Debt Relief Lawyers
Free Initial Evaluation 888.301.0584
We're Your #1 Advocate New York Debt Relief Firm



A person can change their name for nearly any reason. A name is an inherent part of one's identity and can be changed as a matter of personal preference.

People seeking to change their name may want a name that they personally feel is a better match for their identity. For an adult seeking to change their name in New York City, the process includes several important steps, including choosing your new name, filling out a name change petition, filing it in court, appearing at your hearing, and publishing the new name. However, in situations where privacy is of utmost importance to petitioner, a request can be submitted for the court to seal the record.


The process of discovering one’s gender identity can be a long and difficult process, especially when your legal name does not accurately reflect the person you are. Oftentimes people who have made a gender transition find it useful to request a legal name change so that they may apply for legal documentation that carries the same name that they have chosen after their transition.

However, a name change for gender purposes may also be applicable to people that were given a foreign name at birth, or a name that culturally does not associate with their gender. Most importantly, peolpe want a name that they feel comfortable using, that truly belongs to them, and reflect the way they want the world to view them.


If it's time for to consider changing your name to align with your identity, contact our law firm to learn how we can help. We are discreet in our relationships with our client's and hold all information confidential to the limit permissible under the rules of attorney conduct. As mentioned above, the filing of a name change petition is a matter of public record, but a request to seal the record can be made to the court.

Allow our lawyers to use their years of experience in your favor. Contact us to learn how we can help you achieve your name change in any of the 5 boroughs of New York City, including Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, and Manhattan.

For help with getting a name change due to gender reasons, contact the Law Office of Simon Goldenberg PLLC at (888) 301-0584.

Our Commitment to Excellence

  • NACA
  • Martindale
  • rated by super lawyers
  • Avvo 10.0
  • Avvo - Reviews
  • BBB
  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo - Top Contributor
  • avvo - superb
  • avvo - clients choice
  • asla

Contact Us

Receive a Free Initial Case Review
  • Please enter your First Name.
  • Please enter your Last Name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.