Getting a Name Change in New York City
Have you decided to change your name? Learn how!
The process for getting a name change in any of the five boroughs of New
York City (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx) will generally
include the following steps:
Name Change Petition in the presence of a notary public.
Complete additional court forms if
changing a childs name.
- File the papers with the court, along with your proof of birth, and the
requisite filing fees.
If filing in Supreme Court, complete the
Request for Judicial Intervention Form to have a judge assigned.
- Publish the name change in accordance with the court's instructions.
- Attend any necessary hearings.
- If the petition is granted, obtain a copy of the court's order and
apply for a driver's license and social security card under your new name.
Need Help Changing Your Name? Call Our Lawyers!
Or Call Today: (888) 301-0584
In which court do I file a name change petition?
In New York City, a name change can be filed in the civil court, or supreme
court, in the county in which you live.
What to include in the name change petition?
- The reasoning for the name change.
- If the petitioner has been convicted of a crime, you may attach background
information a Certificate of Disposition.
- Include a copy of any prior bankruptcy.
- Explain any judgments and liens that are entered against the petitioner.
- Explain any active lawsuits.
- Attach a copy of child or spousal support order.
Changing Your Name in NYC
It's imperative that the process be completed in the proper order,
that all necessary paperwork is filed, and that the corresponding fees
are paid. Furthermore, any scheduled hearings must be attended to on a
timely basis. Without taking the proper precautions, you run the risk
of having your name change petition denied. Click here if you want to
read frequently asked
questions about legal name change.
Hiring an attorney can help take the confusion out of the process and ensure
a smoother experienced. Trust the guidance of our legal team to help make
sure your petition is comleted and filed properly.
Contact the Law Office of Simon Goldenberg PLLC to speak to our
Name Change Lawyers today! -