Getting a Name Change in New York City

Have you decided to change your name? Learn how!

The process for getting a name change in any of the five boroughs of New York City (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx) will generally include the following steps:

  1. Complete the Name Change Petition in the presence of a notary public.
  2. Attach a Proposed Order.
  3. Complete additional court forms if changing a childs name.
  4. File the papers with the court, along with your proof of birth, and the requisite filing fees.
  5. If filing in Supreme Court, complete the Request for Judicial Intervention Form to have a judge assigned.
  6. Publish the name change in accordance with the court's instructions.
  7. Attend any necessary hearings.
  8. If the petition is granted, obtain a copy of the court's order and apply for a driver's license and social security card under your new name.

Need Help Changing Your Name? Call Our Lawyers!


Or Call Today: (888) 301-0584

In which court do I file a name change petition?

In New York City, a name change can be filed in the civil court, or supreme court, in the county in which you live.

What to include in the name change petition?

  1. The reasoning for the name change.
  2. If the petitioner has been convicted of a crime, you may attach background information a Certificate of Disposition.
  3. Include a copy of any prior bankruptcy.
  4. Explain any judgments and liens that are entered against the petitioner.
  5. Explain any active lawsuits.
  6. Attach a copy of child or spousal support order.

Changing Your Name in NYC

It's imperative that the process be completed in the proper order, that all necessary paperwork is filed, and that the corresponding fees are paid. Furthermore, any scheduled hearings must be attended to on a timely basis. Without taking the proper precautions, you run the risk of having your name change petition denied. Click here if you want to read frequently asked questions about legal name change.

Hiring an attorney can help take the confusion out of the process and ensure a smoother experienced. Trust the guidance of our legal team to help make sure your petition is comleted and filed properly.

Contact the Law Office of Simon Goldenberg PLLC to speak to our Name Change Lawyers today! - (888) 301-0584

    Contact Our Firm

    Have questions? Fill out the information below to receive an immediate response.

    Submit Your Message
    New York Debt Collection Defense Attorney

    Office Location:

    Law Office of Simon Goldenberg, PLLC
    New York Debt Collection Defense Attorney
    818 E 16th Street,
    Brooklyn, NY 11230
    Local Phone: 347.389.0245
    Directions [+]

    Call for a free consultation


    Follow Us On:

    The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.